There are no dates currently scheduled.
Your website matters! It's the public face of your institution and your shop window to the world. It’s the first port of call for prospective learners and it provides information about your portfolio of courses and programmes.
But it goes further than that, it promotes your culture and values to the wider general public, and importantly it conveys a clear message about the inclusivity of your organisation.
The accessibility of your website is now more important than ever, especially since the UK passed new legislation in September 2018 to enact the European Union (EU) Directive on the Accessibility of Websites and Mobile Applications. This applies across all publicly funded higher and further education institutions, placing an expectation on them to ensure that their websites meet high and measurable standards of accessibility.
Last year Jisc’s subject specialists carried out over 50 accessibility snapshots in colleges and universities across the UK, exploring student facing digital platforms and providing feedback on how accessible assets are from a learner/user perspective. In doing so we’ve encountered examples of excellent practice and helped organisations identify areas for further development.
This online training session will help you to explore the accessibility of your institution’s website from a user/human perspective, and will help you to identify practices that enhance accessibility for end users as well as those that exclude people from accessing your website more fully.
Who should attend
This session is designed for everyone who has a role to play in ensuring that websites and web content complies with the new UK accessibility law and meets quality standards including:
- Senior managers responsible for governance and quality
- Managers with more specific responsibilities (such as websites, marketing, e-learning and library platforms, staff development in accessible practice)
- Digital and marketing teams and those supporting students with additional needs
What we cover
- An overview of the new legislation and its specific requirements for institutional websites
- Benchmarking your website -automated and manual tools and user testing
- Examples of good practice from the accessibility snapshots
- Common issues in the sector
- Policy to practice – embedding inclusive practice via governance and quality assurance
- Recognise their legislative requirements in the context of accessible web design
- Understand the challenges that people face when using inaccessible websites
- Evaluate their own websites and identify areas for improvement
- Recognise common issues and good practices identified from the Jisc accessibility snapshot service
- Consider how to take this forward in the context of your own institution
Pricing and eligibility
Jisc members - £95 + VAT 1
Other organisations - £150 + VAT
- 1 VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01235 822242.