Register your interest for future dates
There are no dates currently scheduled.
Your VLE is an integral part of the learner experience and the main digital platform that your learners will return to regularly to access course content and associated resources.
Well-designed learning platforms play a huge part in promoting and supporting independent learning. An accessible learning platform sits at the heart of your institutions digital space, and if designed and developed with care and consistency it can help ensure greater independence for assistive technology users and in turn create a more inclusive experience for all students.
This means considering the accessibility of the structure of the learning platform and also the content that sits within it.
The accessibility of your learning platform is now more important than ever, especially since the UK passed new legislation in September 2018 to enact the European Union (EU) Directive on the Accessibility of Websites and Mobile Applications. This applies across all publicly funded higher and further education institutions, placing an expectation on them to ensure that their digital assets including their learning platforms meet high and measurable standards of accessibility.
Last year, Jisc’s subject specialists carried out over 50 accessibility snapshots in colleges and universities across the UK, exploring learning platforms amongst other areas providing feedback on how accessible they might be from a learner/user perspective. In doing so we’ve encountered examples of excellent practice and helped organisations identify areas for further development.
This course will help delegates explore their institution’s learning platform from a user/human perspective and identify practices that enhance accessibility for all learners, improve compliance with applicable legislation and develop avenues for further development to ensure staff and students possess the digital skills to make the most of your institution’s learning platform.
Who should attend
This course is designed to help staff who have a responsibility for the procurement or management of learning platforms and their contents. It will be of interest to:
- Learning technologists
- Curriculum managers and curriculum developers
- IT/networks staff
- Procurement staff
- Quality assurance staff
- Training teams
- Equality and inclusion staff
- Recognise their legislative requirements in the context of learning platforms and their content
- Recognise common issues and good practices identified from the Jisc accessibility snapshot service
- Understand how to evaluate their own learning platform and identify areas for improvement
- Recognise the different roles responsible for ensuring compliance
- Consider how to take this forward in the context of their own institution
This course can be adapted for single institution delivery so you can have more control over timing and staff attendance.
Pricing and eligibility
Jisc members - £95 + VAT 1
Other organisations - £150 + VAT
- 1 VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require more information.
For more information, email email@example.com or phone 01235 822242.